Writers of Pro Football Prospectus 2008

28 Aug 2014

2014 Preseason Game Discussion

Here's your place to discuss all of 2014's preseason games, especially the nationally televised ones!

Posted by: Aaron Schatz on 28 Aug 2014

33 replies , Last at 08 Sep 2014, 10:19pm by v3456d

Re: 2014 Preseason Game Discussion
by RolandDeschain :: Thu, 08/07/2014 - 5:24pm

GO HAWKS!

So, anybody think if Denver wins the coin toss that they'll elect to kick to avoid opening with a safety? :D

by felden :: Thu, 08/07/2014 - 7:50pm

Carlos Hyde looked pretty good on his first drive: 3 carries, 34 yards. Then Jewel Hampton comes in, and the 49ers sputter.

by MilkmanDanimal :: Sat, 08/09/2014 - 9:24pm

I am enough of a fan to have watched most of Bucs-Jags.

Oniel Cousins is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, bad at football. He is allegedly playing RG for Tampa. I am thinking a UDFA would be better. Possibly a farm animal. A block of wood, maybe.

by Pied :: Sun, 08/10/2014 - 3:01am

Three posts already!
Preseason football—Catch the Fever!

by JoeyHarringtonReigns :: Thu, 08/14/2014 - 1:53pm

It's safe to say the "experimental 32 yard PAT" is over after trial run of 2 preseason games right? I've seen 2 misses already. Imagine a playoff game decided by 1 point because of this rule. Is Goodell messing with the league to bring in former XFL fans?

by Moridin :: Sat, 08/16/2014 - 7:00pm

Who knows. I would guess though, since its not a safety issue like KOs, that it's an issue of pointlessness. XPs are like 99+% gimmes. I'm guessing they are looking at alternatives to doing some type of 'you either auto get 7 or get 6 and a 2 PT attempt', rather than wasting TV footage time on virtually automatic XPs. Kicking from further back is an easy way, if not very exciting (also, if a K gets injured, which is where several missed XPs come from, a further back XP kick becomes virtually impossible for the fullback/etc playing backup K).

Another thing they could do is create multiple kick spots, where from 30 out, its 1 point. 55 its a 2 point attempt. Could even do 45 if they wanted to do shadow half-points (since I doubt they want a 34-34.5 finish, shadow half points don't count until paired with another half point. So, kick one 45er, its 1 point. kick a 2nd, its 2).

There are also a number of random things they could do if they weren't wedded to kicking that would be at least marginally more exciting. Like 1 RB vs 1 LB in a corridor (American Gladiators had something like this). Or stationary QB & 1WR vs 1CB and a 2 second time limit. Stuff that is still likely to work for the offense, but maybe at a 80-85% chance and a more exciting viewer experience. Esp if they add if the CB picks it, one point for the other team (or if LB causes a fumble, etc). Maybe get a couple of options and just say they can't use the same one more than twice in a row.

by PaddyPat :: Sat, 08/23/2014 - 3:01pm

I think the problem with a lot of this stuff is that it detracts from the importance of the offense's performance. When Dan Orlovsky drives you down the field for that last minute touchdown to tie the game and then the running back fails to get past the linebacker, or the kicker misses the 30 yarder, you end up feeling ridiculously deflated. I prefer the notion of moving the try to the 1 or 1/2 yard line to make 2-point conversion tries far more desirable. That way, in a tight contest, you can always take the 1 point and feel assured of the 7, but a lot of games would devolve into a jockeying race for 8 points. That would be fun to watch and wouldn't be that much of a divergence from the current format.

by Perfundle :: Sat, 08/23/2014 - 5:57pm

Eh, you would still feel deflated if Dan Orlovsky drives you down the field for that chip shot field goal to tie the game and the kicker misses. I bet there was a similar discussion in 1974 when they were discussing whether or not to move the field goal posts back 10 yards so that it would be more safe. People will adjust in time.

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Sun, 08/24/2014 - 11:08am

I would feel deflated simply by Dan Orlovsky having to take snaps for my team in any meaningful game.

by Perfundle :: Sun, 08/24/2014 - 6:39pm

That too.

by PaddyPat :: Thu, 08/28/2014 - 9:56pm

I picked him to emphasize the incredibleness of the very fact that he tied the game at all!

by PaddyPat :: Thu, 08/14/2014 - 8:49pm

Gruden thinks the Jaguars are very much like the Seahawks on defense. Oh boy, gotta watch us some of them Jags... Yup; it's preseason.

by mehllageman56 :: Thu, 08/14/2014 - 10:07pm

I don't know, Bortles is really surprising me right now. I pegged him as a bust, and he's making me look like an idiot. By the way, the Jags started playing like an actual Pro team halfway though last year, that's how they escaped getting the first pick with a DVOA that bad.

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Mon, 08/18/2014 - 11:29am

Before you declare your initial prediction wrong, keep in mind that Brandon Weeden looked great two preseasons in a row in 2012 and 2013.

by mehllageman56 :: Fri, 08/29/2014 - 1:37am

That's true, but I'm holding out hope for Geno Smith on the basis of this preseason.

by Duff Soviet Union :: Sat, 08/16/2014 - 9:14am

If that penalty on Tharold Simon that negated a 105 yard pick 6 is the new standard for illegal contact, I might just quit watching football. What an absolute joke. And no, I am not a Seahawks fan, although I do enjoy watching them.

by Moridin :: Sun, 08/17/2014 - 12:32am

Not like who wins in preseason matters, but what was up with the end of the Vikings/Cardinals game? That was wacky.

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Mon, 08/18/2014 - 11:16am

On Friday night, Matt Stafford, even without Calvin Johnson, looked fantastic. But before I could declare Joe Lombardi's coaching a success, I remembered it was preseason, and he was playing the Raiders (sorry RJ!).

by JoeyHarringtonReigns :: Tue, 08/19/2014 - 1:31am

"There are also a number of random things they could do if they weren't wedded to kicking that would be at least marginally more exciting. Like 1 RB vs 1 LB in a corridor (American Gladiators had something like this). Or stationary QB & 1WR vs 1CB and a 2 second time limit. Stuff that is still likely to work for the offense, but maybe at a 80-85% chance and a more exciting viewer experience. Esp if they add if the CB picks it, one point for the other team (or if LB causes a fumble, etc). Maybe get a couple of options and just say they can't use the same one more than twice in a row."

LOL
I can't stop laughing. You're suggestions are a stroke of genius.

by JoeyHarringtonReigns :: Tue, 08/19/2014 - 1:27am

I love our defense this year. Tulloch, Levy, and Van Noy makes up one of the better linebacking cores in the league. If converted TE larry webster turned d end can concuss every QB in our division we will take the North.

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Tue, 08/19/2014 - 6:10am

Van Noy isn't taking 1st team reps yet (but probably will soon). Ziggy Ansah has missed most of camp, and he's a guy that still needs a fair amount of development. Fairley is apparently spending more time in the cafeteria than the weight room, and is in the doghouse for it. Webster has looked great, but he's looked great against the Browns and Raiders backup tackles. Overall, i think the front 7 will be good, but not good enough to cover for a subpar CB corps, a la 2013 Panthers.

But the defense doesn't have to be great. They just have to be consistently average (which hasn't happened since the Bobby Ross era), so they don't nullify the offense's accomplishements.

I also wouldn't count on division rival QB injuries for two years in a row.

by justanothersteve :: Fri, 08/22/2014 - 10:14pm

Watching Packers-Raiders. 1) Is Phil Simms really this bad? I think my brain is close to meltdown. 2) Even when it's benefited my Pack, I'm hating most of the interference calls. 3) The Raiders first team offense looks bad. The Packers were playing mostly second and even third teamers after the first quarter and still didn't look good. 4) Did not like the Jones TD overturn just now. It looks like Jeff Tripplett's crew is in midseason form.

by coboney :: Sat, 08/23/2014 - 7:22am

1) Yes Phil Simms is really that bad. He actively reduces your knowledge of football by speaking. The only potential source of enjoyment with it is to correct everything he says... or for those who prefer alcohol based coping, a drinking game everything he says something wrong.

2) The penalties are absurd this preseason and I am scared the first couple of weeks of the regular season will probably carry that over before the league office tells people that 'its hurting the product' to have 20 penalties in a game of minor types.

3) The Raiders first team offense looked awful. The Packers gave them repeated excellent field position early on too - around the 50 on the packers side... the only time it mattered was that MJD run but the rest of it didn't. Matt Schaub is completely toast - even when he completes passes they float and have no zip on them.

4) I thought the Jones overturn was tacky - but don't forget Mike Carrey agreed with it too! Because now CBS has a ref guy there to ask too.

Side note - Im not sure whether the packers offensive line looked really bad or the Raiders DLine was that good. The packers offense could not pass block last night at all. Rodgers finished 9 of 20 but I suspect only one or two of those completions went to WRs, 2 more to TEs... and the rest quick dump offs to RBs.
Likely the raiders defense which appeared better than I thought it would. They didn't really stop Eddie Lacy but shut down James Starks and most of the packers passing game with the first team for a good while. If there'd been a competent offense.... Alas that was not to be.

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Sat, 08/23/2014 - 10:43am

A)The Lions played the Raiders last week, and I totally agree with your assessment about their first team offense and Matt Schaub. They're going to be really bad.

B)I think the Raiders defensive line is really that good. One of the few things the Lions do really well is pass protect (2nd to the Broncos last year in adjusted sack rate), but the Raiders 1st team D-line gave them fits. Justin Tuck still looks like he has something left in the tank, and Khalil Mack is the real deal.

by justanothersteve :: Fri, 08/22/2014 - 10:14pm

Watching Packers-Raiders. 1) Is Phil Simms really this bad? I think my brain is close to meltdown. 2) Even when it's benefited my Pack, I'm hating most of the interference calls. 3) The Raiders first team offense looks bad. The Packers were playing mostly second and even third teamers after the first quarter and still didn't look good. 4) Did not like the Jones TD overturn just now. It looks like Jeff Tripplett's crew is in midseason form.

by justanothersteve :: Fri, 08/22/2014 - 10:15pm

Stupid iPad.

by JoeyHarringtonReigns :: Sun, 08/24/2014 - 5:30pm

So Sam Bradford is out for the year again with a torn ACL, to which Rams fans indifferently shrugged. "If Bradford had a six star wanted level in grand theft auto 3 the tanks wouldnt even bother chasing him because he's just so damn insignificant." (FOA 2014.)

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Sun, 08/24/2014 - 7:37pm

With that defense, Shaun Hill can game-manage them to 9 or 10 wins....far more than Bradford would have.

by LionInAZ :: Sun, 08/24/2014 - 8:16pm

Shaun is a smart QB, but this NFC West division seems tougher to me than the 2010 NFC North. I would give him 7-8, which is still better than Bradford.

After watching the 49ers today, I wonder if they don't regret letting Hill go. They're stuck with Gabbert.

by JoeyHarringtonsPiano :: Mon, 08/25/2014 - 7:41am

Yea, actually, after looking at their schedule, I think you're right.

If Hill remained with the 49ers, do you think Alex Smith still wins the starting job in 2011? I mean, he already played the conservative, risk-averse quarterback style that they wanted in 2011, without having to be coached to do it.

by Theo :: Fri, 08/29/2014 - 4:31pm

Apparently the 49ers are still really high on Blaine Gabbert, because "he has all the physical tools, he can make all the throws and can really 'spin' the ball."

If he doesn't get cut, I'm gonna puke.

by JoeyHarringtonReigns :: Tue, 09/02/2014 - 4:34am

Thank God preseason is over.

“Mark Brunell usually likes to soak his balls before a rainy game.” (John Madden)