Football Outsiders content published by ESPN
7/29: Fixed broken macros; adjusted NYJ RB, SEA WR
7/26: CAR RB, IND RB, SF RB
7/24: SEA WR/TE
* * * * *
The 2014 KUBIAK fantasy football projection workbook updates all preseason for only $20 -- or get it absolutely free with a $10 deposit at DraftKings.com. Purchase it here!
PDF VERSION NOW AVAILABLE
Click here to buy PDF version.
Click here to buy PDF version
Official Account: @fboutsiders
Scott Kacsmar: @FO_ScottKacsmar
Rivers McCown: @FO_RiversMcCown
Ben Muth: @FO_WordofMuth
Aaron Schatz: @FO_ASchatz
Vince Verhei: @FO_VVerhei
-- plus --
Bill Connelly: @SBN_BillC
J.J. Cooper: @jjcoop36
Cian Fahey: @Cianaf
Brian Fremeau: @bcfremeau
Tom Gower: @ThomasGower
Matt Hinton: @MattRHinton
Matt Waldman: @MattWaldman
Rob Weintraub: @robwein
23 Oct 2008
A little voice that's not your own breaks down the key fantasy matchups of the week.
Posted by: Bill Barnwell on 23 Oct 2008
19 comments, Last at
26 Oct 2008, 1:00am by
I benched Peyton Manning vs. Baltimore in favor of Jason Campbell vs. the winless Saint Louis Rams. I still won on the strngth and depth of my running backs, but it was a move that cost me ~20 points.
Bench your "studs" with caution; when they break out, you will feel bad.
Chris Horton for defensive rookie of the year.
Brees or Campbell?
Don't over manage your team. Play Drew Brees.
TO and Witten are killing me. I can't even trade them, because no one needs a WR, but both are on my can't cut list, taking up space. Thank God I have Andre Johnson to pick up the slack...along with Thomas Jones and LenWhale. Go ball control offense!
i have steve slaton, ronnie brown, marion barber, marshaw lynch, and ernest graham, but i can only run three. who do i start this week, and who do i trade for a tight end and a receiver (chris chambers and kellen winslow just don't cut it)?
I'd sit Barber and Lynch.
I would also keep all of your RBs; that's a solid group. Chambers and Winslow are both hurt, they should return to form once they're healthy.
I'd play Slaton, Barber and Lynch- without a doubt. You can prolly pick-up a TE on the wire and get a serviceable WR for Graham.
Several questions here:
1. I need to start 2 QB out of McNabb vs. Atlanta, Roethlisberger vs. the Giants, and Shaub vs. Cincy. The Shaub matchup is promising, so I guess it's between McNabb and Big Ben. I'm a little leery of an Eagles-Steelers repeat for Ben, where he gets sacked a million times by the Giants...
2. I currently have Marion Barber vs. Tampa Bay and LT "at" New Orleans as my starters at RB, with the two-headed monster of Earnest Graham and Warrick Dunn(at Dallas) as my backups. Would there be any rational reason to start either of those two over either Barber or LT? Or, would there be any rational reason to pick up say, LenDale White vs. Indy and hope that, at worst, he runs for a few TDs? Another possible pick up would be Jonathan Stewart vs. Arizona...
3. I need to start 3 WR out of Cotchery vs. KC, Lee Evans at Miami, Roddy White at Atlanta, Braylon Edwards at Jacksonville, Breaston at Carolina, and Chad Johnson at Houston. Based on this article, Johnson seems like he might be a worthwhile start, and I'll probably go with Cotchery and Evans as the other two. Is there any reason not to go with those three, and instead use one of the other guys?
the biggest reason to maybe sit Cotchery is that he's a game-day decision, currently questionable.
1. I'd start McNabb and Schaub.
2. Must be a pretty shallow league if both White and Stewart are available. I would play Graham and LT if it were up to me, and hope that Graham sees the endzone over Dunn. Barber just has such a tough matchup against TB that it's tough to play him. I'd pick up White if he's available and you have someone worth dropping, and Stewart is probably worth a pickup too. If you do pick up White I would probably play him over Graham.
3. Cotchery is questionable. I'm not starting him in my leagues because I have other good options, and it sounds as though you do too. He may be limited against KC even if he does play. Evans against Miami is a must-play. White is a total stud but gets a tough draw against Philly. Edwards hasn't shown he can be a consistent performer, and neither has Johnson, but both have favorable matchups this week. Breaston will get yards but faces a relatively tough assignment in Carolina this week. If it were up to me, I would go with Evans, White, and Johnson this week, and hope for the best with White.
This is related to the article's mentioning of benching Peyton; so... do you bench Reggie Wayne, too?
I have Wayne, DeSean Jackson, Chad Johnson, and Isaac Bruce. Johnson and Jackson look like easy starts. So... do I start Isaac over Reggie Wayne?
Assuming you have to start three WRs, I would start Johnson, Bruce, and Jackson. Bruce has a fantastic matchup this week against the Seahawks and should be a big producer.
Ugh. With Holmes now out, I have to start 3 of Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Amani Toomer, and Kevin Curtis. Johnson is a lock, of course, but there don't seem to be any good options among the other 3 guys.
Yuck. There's got to be someone out there on the waiver wire better than Harrison or Toomer, right? Curtis should be an okay play this week.
Pickings are slim. Antwaan Randle El. Steve Breaston. Greg Camarillo. Kevin Walter (probably the best of the lot, but I already have Johnson & Daniels and don't want to be too Texans-heavy). Plus, there's a trans fee, so if it's a close call, I'd prefer to sit tight.
Depending on what your transaction fee is, I would strongly consider dumping Toomer (how did you end up with him in the first place?) for Breaston.
So is Chris Johnson (or Earnest Graham) at +/- 4% better or worse than Cedric Benson at +8%?
Also, surprised that Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress aren't on the list. My only other QB options would be Marc Bulger and Ryan Fitzpatrick and my other WR options are Reggie Wayne and Joey Galloway so I'll probably play my Giants anyway.
I wouldn't hesitate to start either Johnson or Graham over Benson, even though they're both in timeshares. It just means Benson has a better matchup than either of them this week.
Definitely start your Giants.
Joey Galloway, Bobby Engram, or Matt Jones?
Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame quarterback? We dissect both sides of the case from multiple angles.
See All XP | NFL XP | College XP
© Football Outsiders, Inc. // Site powered by Stein-Wein // Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties