Writers of Pro Football Prospectus 2008

09 Jun 2011

NY Times: 24 Hours in New York Sports

This has nothing to do with football, but it covers just about every other sport you can think of. On Friday and Saturday, I will be running my own version of the New York Marathon. I will cover a Red Bulls soccer game, the Central Park mini-marathon, a Yankees-Indians game, the adidas Grand Prix track meet, the Belmont Stakes, and the New York Liberty WNBA home opener. This link to the Bats blog shows my teaser video. Check in on Saturday to chart my progress, and follow me @FO_MTanier to get regular updates on how lost and confused I am.

Posted by: Mike Tanier on 09 Jun 2011

9 comments, Last at 18 Jun 2011, 7:23pm by Anonymous1

Comments

by Aaron Brooks' Good Twin (not verified) :: Thu, 06/09/2011 - 9:40am

It's a shame the last two don't count as sports.

by Dean :: Thu, 06/09/2011 - 10:04am

Actually, the Belmont is the only one in the list that would be even remotetly interesting.

by Intropy :: Thu, 06/09/2011 - 5:44pm

I'd say of the six only the soccer, baseball, and basketball qualify as sports.

by Purds :: Sat, 06/11/2011 - 11:58am

Say the guys who clearly haven't run 13.1 feet, much less 13.1 miles.

by Intropy :: Sat, 06/11/2011 - 1:33pm

Was that really necessary?

A thing being athletic does not make it a sport.

by Purds :: Sat, 06/18/2011 - 1:30am

Oh, so it's only a sport if it's a game, with a score? I have seen many baseball players who clearly are not athletic, so I guess you're right that athletics plays no role here.

by Dean :: Mon, 06/13/2011 - 9:14am

I'm convinced anymore that running is a cult.

Once someone gets addicted to running, they abandon their non-running friends. It's kinda sad. Try to have a conversation with a runner about something that doesn't involve running. You can't do it. They will inevitably turn the topic to running. When they find out that you prefer to A) shoot back or B) get in a car rather than running 13 miles the conversation takes an evangelical turn that would make Jerry Falwell blush. How DARE you not be part of the cult?! You may as well try to be friends with a bunch of stoners without toking up yourself. Doesn't matter how many other shared interests you nave - it's a waste of time.

by Anonymous1 (not verified) :: Sat, 06/18/2011 - 7:23pm

I think your runner friends are not particularly interesting.

by jebmak :: Fri, 06/10/2011 - 8:43am

I find that offensive! Horse racing is a sport!