If you read just one article this week that makes the Patriots sound like the Romanov Dynasty, make it Seth Wickersham's piece. But if you read just one article that's self-aware about making the Patriots sound like the Romanov Dynasty, make it Digest!
Mike Tanier's Archive
Wild Card previews, of course. Plus a surprising amount of Bills trolling.
Also featuring Jeff Fisher's Guide to Explaining the Universe.
Featuring Nick Foles, the failed Aaron Rodgers hero quest, and a Cowboys-Raiders game that served as a microcosm for everything wrong with the NFL.
Also: lots of jokes about Chuck Pagano in the snow and Steve Spaguolo, the bold tactical renegade of interim coaches.
Also: Jimmy Garoppolo's quietly impressive 49ers debut and the mystery of how a team can "win the draft" for two years yet still turn to a player who has been out of football for three years to be the focal point of their offense.
A rematch of the Patriots-Eagles Super Bowl looks so inevitable right now that Donovan McNabb is already getting queasy. (Kidding!)
I am not a traitor to the analytics cause.
I am a Defender of the Faith.
I am the Martin Luther of Moneyball.
In this week's Digest ...
- The Patriots give Tom Brady a special teams boost.
- The Saints treat the Bills the way a garbage disposal treats a moldy meatball.
- The Jaguars try to cough up a big game in the fourth quarter but cannot out-choke the Chargers.
- The Steelers limbo even lower than usual to play down to another opponent.
- Another fluky touchback robs the Bears and the NFL of a little bit more fun and fairness.
- Strip-Sack Savage rides again for the Texans
...and much more.
Also: psychoanalysis of the Falcons, the sad truth about the Broncos quarterback situation, the lessons of the Andrew Luck fiasco, and a Stranger Things spoiler or two.