RSP Pre-Draft Ops Roundtable
The NFL Draft begins today and rather than talking about prospects, I spoke with two experienced NFL football operations and personnel people about scouting, management, and strategy of building a team. This is easily one of my five favorite shows this year.
Alan Dandar is the co-founder of Dynamic Sport solutions. His site SmashDraft.com is an excellent tool worth checking out if you’re an NFL fan or media. Dandar has been a statistical consultant with the Minnesota Timberwolves, a player personnel assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles, a director of football operations and Princeton, and a special assistant to the recruiting coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Temple.
Dandar’s responsibilities bridged the gap between studying tape and analytics concepts. He’s well-versed in both areas and provides a terrific perspective on both sports operations and the corporate world.
Dan Hatman is the co-founder the Scouting Academy. Dan is a former scout with the Giants, Eagles, and Jets. Scouting Academy offers a wealth of education to media, fans and aspiring scouts. He has a staff of former players, coaches, and personnel management from the NFL. Scouting Academy has partnered with the Senior Bowl for the 2016 event.
- Our experiences with operations management and evaluation processes.
- Comparing and contrasting NFL organizations as business entities with other non-NFL organizations.
- Where leadership gets it wrong in the NFL.
- Opportunities with initial and continuous training.
- The trust dynamic and lack of it in the league.
- Identifying the correct team infrastructure to develop.
- Inefficiencies within NFL operational structures–deployment and responsibilities of scouts.
- The positives and negatives of the NFL as an insulated business environment.
- The role of analytics in the league and discerning quality analytic studies as a reader and fan in the media.
Check it out before the draft and get a whole new perspective on the process.