2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

This week's games are here for you to discuss: Seattle at Atlanta and Houston at New England for Saturday, Pittsburgh at Kansas City and Green Bay at Dallas for Sunday.

Comments

81 comments, Last at 16 Jan 2017, 10:04pm

1 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

How serious is Roethlisberger's foot injury? Is Blount actually ill and potentially missing in action this week? What injuries will actually affect the outcome of games this week? What's hype and what's not? Ryan or Rodgers for most passing yards? Bell or Elliot for most rushing yards? Brown or Adams for most receiving yards? Except for Patriots, waffling on picks and spreads. In search of a stellar psychic, mine has been placed on waivers.

3 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

It's chat or go home for all the marbles in FO football chat! We ditched the protocol-that-shall-not-be-named last year in favor of a shiny, disruptive new slack group. For people who are already in, just go to https://kotakuites.slack.com/messages/fo/details/. For anyone that wants to join a star-studded cast of their favorite FO posters for gameday chat, just email me at gamadict@gmail.com and you will receive an invite

5 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

I've long felt the Jimmy Graham trade was one that hurt both teams. His departure marks the end of the peak Brees/Payton era, then the Saints compounded the mistake by trading that other starting receiver to Miami. It's like, how many great receivers can you trade for draft picks and still expect to have a top offense? Especially when you don't get the same value out of those picks. Seems like a classic case of a smart head coach thinking he's a lot smarter than he really is.

7 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Hate that from Carroll right there, not even attempting to move the ball with a minute and 3 timeouts. You aren't playing the Rams today, conservative strategy is not gonna get it done.

9 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Falcons are looking very tough. Aside from that first drive of the game the Seahawks haven't been able to get anything going, and they weren't able to stop them when it would have mattered.

15 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

That was a BS pass interference call to keep the Patriots drive alive.
As a neutral fan I wish this game to be equal, but this just uhgh.

17 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Yes the Texans defense is really doing a good job. I mocked the announcers relentlessly hyping this unit last week when they were facing Connor Cook, but this is impressive. It's a legit scary unit when Watt comes back next year.

Quite what they are going to do about their QB situation, however, I don't know.

27 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

I think most everyone here would agree that Ossweiler is vastly overpaid and isn't a very good QB. However, you called him the worst ever playoff QB. That's a very low bar and I can think of a good half-dozen QBs off the top of my head who were worse QBs to start in a playoff game. I'm also 60, so I've seen a lot of playoff games. A short list:

* Joe Webb
* Scott Hunter
* Tavaris Jackson
* Bob Avellini
* Ryan Lindley
* Danny Kannell
* Quincy Carter
* Todd Marinovich

33 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Are some of you members of Osweiler's family? Forgive me for using the word might. I didn't realize that we had to express our views only in absolutes. Saying Brady "might" be the worst means you have no understanding of football. Saying Osweiler "might" be the worst (yes, as in "in the running") means that you do and have watched him play a reasonable amount including last night. He's AWFUL.

45 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Joe Webb is a recent example of a player whose coaches refused to tailor their system to the player's strengths and weaknesses. Could Webb have succeeded in a non-traditional offense somewhat similar to RG3's rookie year? We don't know, and we'll never know, because his coaches sucked.

21 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Game was there for the taking for Hou with even competent level QB play. I think Fuller dropped that TD because he was shocked that ASSweiler made such a good throw.

22 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

That 4th and 5 the Texans needed to go for it. They're down two scores. The Texans have been stopping NE, but they're not stopping them fast enough and it's not like it matters whether they turn it over on downs or on a pick.

34 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Wow, that was like a 35 yard penalty thanks to someone running into and out of the huddle. That hurts. Good for my fandom, but dang!

39 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Jason Garrett is a great playoff coach.

Figured Packers could win this game, but I also expected more from Dallas than they've shown so far.

41 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Look at the sideline shots of the Cowboys--they all have that defeated look in their eyes already.

Before that TD to 88, I was actually in agreement with Aikman about going with Romo at halftime, despite the Vanilla Idiot denying making that sensible suggestion.

Thisbis why Aikman should NEVER, EVER CALL A COWBOYS GAME!

42 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Why do kick returners bother trying to catch the kickoff in the end zone? Just let it fly by you for a touchback!

46 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Taking the sack there was a good idea once it was clear the play was broken to keep the click running and end the half.

49 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

The refs made it clear they aren't calling defensive holding or PI. The Cowboys are taking advantage of it. The Packers are playing soft zones...

58 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Quite an ending there.

Garrett is getting flack for his clock management on the last drive. Feels like he left too much time on the clock. A running play on 3rd down would have at least forced GB to either use their last timeout and settle for overtime.

62 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Berry touched the goal line - pretty sure if he went back it should be a safety?!
[edit] apparently he did not bring the whole ball out of the endzone...[/edit]

69 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

wow, I might not have ever seen any coach get worked as bad as what just happened there.

pitiful.
-------------------------------------
The standard is the standard!

76 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

Wow...the game turns on a holding call with 3 minutes to go, and a) it's the right call and b) its against the home team! Are you sure this was an NFL game? (Of course, it never would have been called in Green Bay, Seattle or Dallas...)

P.S. Brown had to use his 4th gear to flash by Houston so as to be open to make that last catch...then he has to make sure he secures the ball...no way he could then put the brakes on to avoid going OB...

77 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

After a tough season for kickers, this weekend they went 18/18 on XPs and 21/21 on FGs, including 4/4 from 50+. Had to have been the best "points above replacement" for kickers of any playoff weekend ever?

78 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

james harrison got flagged and fined about 75k 3-4 years ago for hitting somebody the way heath hit rodgers (facemask in square of back)

anyways, regarding calls.

Travis Kelce irate about the holding call on Fischer.

funny enough, that happened to Harrison (that neck hold) about 500 times in his career with no call. I'm not complaining they picked NOW to call it.

--------------------------------------
The standard is the standard!

81 Re: 2017 Divisional Round Open Discussion

When the blocker puts his arm around the pass rusher's neck and keeps it there for at least two strides, we have offensive holding and it should be called. All penalties should be called, without regard to the time within the game or the importance of the game. If you think that blockers get away with such things in most cases, then demand that more holding penalties be called.