SITE NEWS: EdjSports Acquires Football Outsiders
So, we have some big news.
LOUISVILLE, KY (June 13, 2018) – EdjSports, a data science and prescriptive analytics sports firm, has announced their acquisition of Football Outsiders.
Established in 2003, Football Outsiders has created in-depth NFL and NCAA advanced statistics including their proprietary DVOA and DYAR ratings. Football Outsiders’ editorial staff provides an intelligent viewpoint challenging conventional wisdom about the game and contributes regularly to ESPN Insider, in addition to identifying all-star players within the EA Sports Madden Ultimate Team and EA Sports Madden NFL Mobile games.
Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders’ founder, will remain Editor-in-Chief and oversee the site’s content and staff of writers.
“Football Outsiders pioneered advanced football statistics and we are excited about the innovation and support EdjSports will bring to their team. EdjSports’ best-in-class predictive analytics capabilities combined with Football Outsiders’ statistics and analyses will deliver revolutionary new products and tools for fantasy and market applications,” said Sean O’Leary, CEO of EdjSports.
"I'm really looking forward to being a part of the EdjSports team. EdjSports' in-game analytics are a perfect complement to Football Outsiders' general concentration on player and team strengths and weaknesses. Football Outsiders readers can feel good that all of their favorite columns and metrics will remain but with new opportunities to expand what we can do with them," said Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders Editor-in-Chief.
EdjSports empowers smarter decision-making with proven predictive and prescriptive analytical models and custom software solutions in the sports industry. Our game-based approach analyzes pools of data, helping teams make critical call decisions based on the highest probability of achieving their goals. At EdjSports, we assist decision makers and enhance their ability to gain the competitive edge that ultimately impacts the bottom line: winning. For more information, visit www.edjsports.com.
OK, you guys probably have a lot of questions. Let's see if I can answer what are likely to be the most common ones.
- You aren't going to see any immediate changes in the content at Football Outsiders. That's still the name of the website. All the writers are staying, all your favorite columns will be back for the 2018 season, and most important, we are not becoming a subscription website any time in the near future.
- There will still be Football Outsiders Almanac 2018 sometime in mid-July. In fact, as of now we're a few days ahead of last year's schedule. (Knock on wood.) There will still be a 2018 KUBIAK fantasy football projections workbook as well. Premium subscription products should also stay roughly the same.
- In the long term, EdjSports will deliver systems and user experience improvements, which will allow the FO staff to focus less on technical problems and more on delivering more and better NFL and college football content.
- It's not just PR-speak for me to say that EdjSports analytics is a perfect complement to Football Outsiders analytics. The biggest gap in Football Outsiders analysis has always been an in-game decision making model. EdjSports' cofounders are creators of the NFL's first fully customized simulation model for in-game decisions.
- Our relationships with ESPN and Sports Info Solutions remain strong.
- If you want to learn more about EdjSports, you can read this New York Times article about their work with the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles.
-- Aaron Schatz