by Aaron Schatz
Well, we've been working on this for a while, and today we're finally ready to debut our brand new Football Outsiders player pages.
- Basic biographical information
- Advanced offensive stats going back to 1994, including DVOA and DYAR rank for each year where a player had enough opportunities to be ranked
- Advanced defensive stats going back to 1999 -- things like Stop Rate, Defeats, and Yards per Run Tackle -- including rank for players with enough plays to be ranked
- Game Charting stats like YAC, QB hurries, and adjusted yards per pass (based on coverage, not just tackles) going back to 2005
- Penalties (including declined and offsetting) and penalty yards going back to 1999
- Standard stats prior to 1994 for players whose careers began prior to 1994
- Links to the last five articles on FO that discussed this player, plus another link to an archive page featuring every article discussing this player since FO began in 2003
If you are not a subscriber to FO Premium, you will only be able to see the last year of game charting stats, the last three years of other stats, and the last five articles discussing that player. FO Premium subscribers can see all the stats and the entire archive of articles discussing each player. Nothing that was previously free is now Premium, so the pages with the advanced offensive player stats sorted by year rather than by player are still free.
(Also, if the box with the article links doesn't look quite right, you may need to force-refresh your browser to get our new stylesheet loaded in.)
I'm personally excited about making the defensive stats available. Nobody else out there keeps defensive stats like FO does, looking at things like which defenders are involved in the highest percentage of team plays, or which ones make their run tackles closest to the line of scrimmage. Now that we have player pages, you can see all kinds of interesting facts about players. For example, Zach Thomas led the league in percentage of team defensive plays for five straight seasons from 2003 through 2007. Ray Lewis led the league the two years before that, and holds the all-time record for Defeats in a season with 45 back in 1999.
Sometime in the next few days, FO will begin selling sponsorships on the player pages, with the fees determined by how popular the players are. (We're not selling those sponsorships right away because we want a couple of days to make sure that the player pages don't cause any further server issues.)
Eventually, we hope to add defensive stats and penalty stats prior to 1999 as well as special teams stats for kickers, punters, and return men. We also plan on creating team pages as well as leaderboards for the defensive stats and other metrics that don't currently have specific stats pages on the site.
Hopefully, any other questions you have about the player pages are answered in this Player Pages FAQ. If not, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread here.